Anxiety is a disorder that can be faced by everyone in different parts of life like the feeling of fear while facing a crowd or fear of an exam or job interview, but if someone facing anxiety symptoms regularly and even with or without a particular cause/event. If these symptoms are interfering with their routine life and leaving them uncomfortable to concentrate on work, then this will need attention and require medical help also.
These symptoms may be different in person and there may be a big possibility of experiencing multiple symptoms. Also, these symptoms can change over time, like a person will feel short breathiness and nervousness & restlessness in the first few months which converts into severe headaches after that.
Symptoms of Anxiety:
- Short or rapid breathing
- Feeling Nervous & restless
- Feeling a sense of danger and panic
- Excessive Sweating
- Weakness & Tiredness
- Heaviness in Chest
- Irregular bowel moment
- Slipping deep into feelings of worries
- Issues in sleeping
So now, we let you know five sure-shot ways to beat anxiety completely in a natural way.
5 Ways to Beat Anxiety Naturally
These methods can be practically & easily added to your lifestyle. Also, you can use these with your doctor’s medication to manage anxiety naturally or you can reduce your medication but strictly under the doctor’s supervision. We suggest you follow these methods strictly and step by step for better results.
1. Control your Triggers:
The First step is to know your triggers for anxiety and control them. This is divided into two parts first: understanding the circumstances under which anxiety first time starts in your body like; chronic stress, heartbreaks, tense childhood, and loneliness.
You must come out of these situations, if stress is related to finances then you need to lower some expenses or try to increase income through other family members. If you have a tense childhood, you can consult a psychologist or join a club or part-time job to overcome loneliness and heartbreaks.
Secondly, after overcoming the circumstances, explore temporary triggers like public meetings, a particular time at which anxiety starts, or maybe free time in which you feel lonely. Socializing and meeting people at that particular time or engaging yourself in some mindful activity like joining a course will help you a lot.
2. Changing Food Habits:
Just changing your food habits not only helps you deal with anxiety issues but also gives overall health benefits. Cutting down on excessive oily foods and sugar helps you manage anxiety and depression disorders. Research shows that high sugar consumption has been link to cognitive impairments and emotional disorders like anxiety and depression. A study of over 69,000 women demonstrated that those with the highest intakes of added sugars had a significantly greater risk of depression, compared to those with the lowest intakes.
Adding foods, like starting your day with one banana, at least one Chamomile tea or green tea in a day, snacking with almonds and dark chocolate, and adding eggs & salmon fish will help to lower anxiety symptoms.
3. Add supplements:
Adding a few supplements is a great way to give your body extra support to fight anxiety issues. There are a lot of supplements claiming to help fight anxiety but, we summarized a few to cut down your research on this and give maximum support towards controlling anxiety. We suggest you not pick high concentrations of these supplements as high concentrations are only seen on labels.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is one of the most abundant minerals in the body, it plays an important role in a number of bodily functions and has a number of health benefits. Study shows magnesium is a natural treatment for anxiety. It is required around 420 gm in men and 310 gm in women. Magnesium comes in a combination of various salts but we prefer magnesium glycinate as this is easily absorbed in the body and provides an additional calming effect than other combinations. You can take only one tablet/capsule in the morning after breakfast or after dinner.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D shows a positive impact on reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression. Study shows about 1 billion of the population are vitamin D deficient and 35% of adults in USA have vitamin D deficiency. So you can take this supplement for a maximum of one month or as per your doctor’s suggestion to fulfill your vitamin D deficiency and support your body to fight anxiety.
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Researchers found that people who took high doses of omega 3 seemed to have the most reduction in anxiety symptoms. Omega 3 fatty acids derived from fish oil have several other health benefits like maintaining good cholesterol in the body.
4. Meditation & CBT Therapy:
Meditation has been used for thousands of years to bring calm and relaxation to the body helping to reduce everyday stress and maintaining emotional balance. All these factors help to reduce the effects of anxiety and depression. You can start practicing at home starting with small sessions to longer durations with time to take maximum benefit.
CBT Therapy: CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a result-oriented therapy used by doctors without the support of medication which is beneficial in managing stress & anxiety and emotional issues. CBT therapists give you new ways of taking stress & emotional challenges which ultimately improves mental health to reduce anxiety.
You can infuse either meditation or CBT therapy into your lifestyle according to your condition and resources.
Exercise is one of the best ways to beat anxiety completely and most naturally. We rank running as the best form of exercise to reduce anxiety. But you can also use a combination of other weight training exercises with running. At least 15-20 minutes of running is recommend to achieve the goal in addition to other weight training exercises.
You can start your exercise with running. If you are new to exercise, you can first start with 20 minutes of walking and add a few minutes of running sessions after a few days. And then slowly increasing the running sessions and lowering the walking period. You can walk for the first 3-4 minutes then run for the next 5-6 minutes then walk for 1-2 minutes then again run for the next 5-6 minutes. This way you can add slow walking sessions of 1-2 minutes in between running.
Once you become good at running then you can add other weight training exercises to your routine. To effectively manage the anxiety, you need a total of 45-60 minutes of exercise schedule including running and weight training.
One can also replace exercise with yoga. But we prefer physical exercise over yoga as exercise also helps to manage body weight and strengthen your body giving a good natural look.
Things to remember while dealing with Anxiety disorder:
- Avoid Alcohol as alcohol proved to be a potential trigger for increasing anxiety symptoms
- Avoid Smoking
- Limit Caffeine intake
- Develop new interests & hobbies
- Make new friends
- Develop qualities of Extrovert personality
- A good 8 hours of sleep relaxes your mind and thus improves anxiety issues
- Keep yourself engaged in mindful activities
- Listening to your favorite music can also be a good option
- Get involve in more outdoor activities than staying indoors
Controlling your Anxiety triggers, adding nutrient-rich foods to your diet, and adding magnesium & vitamin D supplements along with meditation & regular exercise schedule are the best ways to control anxiety naturally without medications.